Sunday, June 13, 2010

Darn Thumbs!

Ruby has decided at age 2 1/2 to start sucking her thumb! Really bad habit to be starting right now. She used to suck on her index finer only at bedtime but when it got too long and she started gagging herself, she switched to her thumb. I was fine with that at bedtime, but now she's sucking it every time she lays down on the couch. She likes to lay on one of our gold pillows and often lugs it around the house so she can plop down wherever to suck her thumb. She even tries to bring it in the car. We talked about how babies suck their thumbs and not big girls. It worked for about 5 minutes until she told me that she wasn't a baby but that she was still going to suck her thumb. We have pointed out to her that nobody else sucks their thumbs in our house, and she couldn't have cared less. I was a thumb sucker until I was 3 or 4 so maybe she'll be done by then too. Here's hoping, because I don't want to someday have a 12 year old still sucking her thumb.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

My sister did until she was 11! Don't feel bad, Tayla STILL has her binkie...even though I weaned her at 13 months:-/ (thank you Gavin). She'll get over it at some point:) If she's into being girlie keep her fingers painted if her thumb stays out or give her a special necklace that she can only wear if she doesn't do it all day...slowly but surely it's starting to work for Tayla. Good luck!

Jenny said...

That is funny that she started now! Avey started sucking her thumb at 1 month. I tried to force her to take a binki instead but the thumb won! She does it mostly while holding her blanket or laying down it bed. I am also hoping that it will end by 3 years old.