Yes.
Leslie goes by a lot of names around our house...
"Smoosh" (a nickname we came up with to mock couples who call each other 'babe'.)
"The Hotness" (I would -so- be stalking her if she hadn't married me)
"The ice queen" (for when she turns the heat off in the middle of the gorram winter)
"Babe" ( ironically this name also exists only to make fun of couples who call each other 'babe'. It works, just trust me)
"Katara" (from Avatar compliments of kode and lyda)
"Penny" (from Bolt also compliments of the kids)
"Single Mom" (for when I get home from work post 9 p.m.)
"SpiderWoman" (for when Les totally reads the entire internet in one night)
"Martha Stewart" (for all the times I come home to find the house spotless, a piping hot dinner on the table, some newly completed craft on the counter-top, the laundry done, a stunning neo-classical painting on the easel and three clean, happy, well-dressed kids).
And the list goes on.
Anyway, call her what you want, this girl is everything she's cracked up to be.
Easily the nicest person I've ever met but also super fun, funny, spontaneous and wacky.
I love IM'ing with Les while I'm at work. Seems like there's a constant stream of hilarious stuff happening around the house while I'm gone and she keeps me up to speed on all of it. Sometimes, I just get an IM like
"I just cleaned throw-up off the tramp"
or
"Ya, so I just stuck my finger in poo on accident"
Makes me laugh so hard.
She puts up with so much but she always manages to keep things in perspective.
I think one of her many gifts is that perfect combination of tenacity to stick with the problem, and knowing when it's time to take a break.
Sometimes around 4 p.m. I get an IM like this:
"Ok, so when you get home, I need to get out of the house for a while"
When that happens, she goes out for an hour or two, grabs a jamba, or a treat with a friend and when she comes home she's a whole new person. Nothing seems to keep her down for long. The net result is a woman who has things supremely "together"
Even on the hard days, Les is an iconic example of a patient, loving mother.
If our kids were a football team, and Les and I were fans, you might call me fair-weather fan whereas Les is the die-hard, true-blue never-give-up, never-surrender kind of fan. She seems to have never ending patience for their constant requests for her attention. With three kids running around and only one mom to be the focal point of their universe, Leslie can end up feeling a lot like some starlet who is perpetually hounded by the paparazzi. I sometimes joke that she knows, in a way that even celebrities don't understand, what it truly means to be famous.
Les is always looking for ways to improve herself.
She mentioned wanting to give painting a try once, so we got an easel and some water paints.
So I'm thinking she's going to bust out some fugly stuff and I'm going to tell her it's good just cause I love her, right?
Wrong.
Guess what? She's really good!
She'll tell you it's terrible, or that she just copied someone else's panting, or a hundred other things but the fact is, her work is very clean, and very interesting to look at.
I love how well she uses the few moments of free time she gets. Just this morning I was taking my turn bathing the kids and suddenly there's beautiful music filling the house as she played and both she and Lyda sang. Don't get me wrong, she's got a couple TV shows she likes, and she'll watch them, but more often than not, given a moment to herself, she'll read, or paint, or play the piano or just have some one on one time with whichever of our kids needs her attention the most. Not too many people manage to live so well as that in 2009.
I'm also slowly realizing that Leslie is always planning something. In the last couple months she's totally redone a bathroom (and I do mean entirely) and had the entire house re floored. See she's always reading these magazines like "Martha Stewart" and I think she's just getting a kick out of the articles......but no. It's nothing short of recon. She's slowly and meticulously transforming the 1970's suckfest that our house has been into something pretty sweet. Can't wait to see my own house in 5 years.
Anyway I think this picture sums it all up.
A few days ago Kode wanted to try taking some pictures just like Mom and Dad do, so Leslie got him all set up with the camera and plopped right down on the kitchen floor so he could have someone at his level to take a picture of.
Take a look, what do you see?
Gorgeous green eyes?
Ok that's fair.
What else do you see?
I'll tell ya what I see.
I see love for the little boy behind the camera.
And that is Les to a tee.
7 comments:
This made me miss my friend! Leslie is awesome! I miss having her just around the corner from me! Thanks for posting Steve.
tender...seriously, such a tribute to Leslie. I agree with everything you said.
I'm seriously bawling.
Like uncontrollably.
It's ridiculous.
Les, I'm so happy that you found a guy like Steve. I always wondered if my best friend would get a guy she deserved. And while I'd assumed it was true, reading this post confirmed it, I know you did.
Steve, great work on describing Leslie. She does always have it under control, doesn't she? There is something magical about how she knows exactly how to deal with all the people in her life to keep them all happy.
I'm still trying to figure that out.
Great post. I loOove it! (Even though Mark and I call each other Babe. I'll forgive you for that. Just this once.)
Awesome post Steve!! I want to be Leslie when I grow up (I always have! :) As I was reading this, nothing surprised me, Leslie is AMAZING!
Leslie, thanks for being such a great example to the rest of us (although you'd never admit that you are . . . cause you're that humble!).
Oh, and Les to answer your question, I am for sure going to be here through next Mon. (planning on driving back Tues.) but I am not debating if I should stay a little longer . . . :)
Steve, Steve, Steve....
Way to raise the bar for us men folk....OH, Steve, a little heads up would have been nice, now I got to get my mind working on something for Jam....
Seriously though, good post. Leslie does seem like a great mom.
Wow! Kudos to Steve for recognizing all this in you and for writing it so dang well! Seriously, this is an awesome post and he gets huge props. Secondly, kudos to you for being so amazing! You must be one of those people who does life with three kids, etc. well. I wish I were more like that. I'm also glad you have "hard days" too, though. I had my first "I'm outta here" day when Danny got home a few months ago. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had moments like that. Keep up the great work. Your family seems so tremendous and you, the homemaker, deserve most of the credit. Well done!! I wish we lived near by to hang out and I could glean some of what you've got!
Oh, I forgot to say that I laughed out loud how Steve refered to your house as a "1970's suckfest".
Post a Comment